Whitefield College of the Bible: Seven Decades of Ministerial Training in the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster

From a modest hall on the outskirts of Belfast to a purpose‑built training campus in County Armagh, the history of ministerial training in the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster is a story of vision, perseverance, and unwavering commitment to the authority of Holy Scripture.

From the early 1950s until the present day, the training of ministers and missionaries has been inseparable from the identity of the Free Presbyterian Church. The story of the Theological Hall – and later the Whitefield College of the Bible – is a testimony to the Lord’s provision and the Church’s determination to remain faithful to the Gospel amidst decades of religious compromise and theological modernism.


1953 – The Mount Merrion Beginnings

In the wake of the Church’s foundation at Crossgar in 1951, under the leadership of the Reverend Ian R. K. Paisley and a small group of elders, it quickly became evident that the new denomination would need to train its own ministers rather than send them to liberal theological colleges. The Church believed that its future preachers must be rooted uncompromisingly in the Reformed faith, the Gospel of sovereign grace, and the doctrines of the Protestant Reformers.

By early 1953, the first classes of the fledgling Theological Hall were organised in the back hall of Mount Merrion Free Presbyterian Church in the Cregagh district of Belfast. Though modest in setting, this was a historic beginning. The room was described as “small but serious”, furnished with little more than basic desks, bookshelves, and a pulpit for preaching practice. It was there that the earliest students of the Free Presbyterian ministry were instructed in systematic theology, church history, homiletics, and biblical exposition.

The lecturers were men of conviction who combined academic ability with evangelical zeal. Among them was Dr Ian Paisley himself, together with Rev S. B. Cooke and others associated with the early congregations. Despite limited resources, the teaching was rigorous and deeply practical, reflecting the conviction that a preacher must not only study the Word but live it out in daily conduct.

Those early years produced the first generation of Free Presbyterian ministers, men who would later lead congregations across Ulster, Scotland, and North America. The Mount Merrion Hall had no formal charter or examination board, but it produced a close brotherhood of ministers whose shared convictions would shape the denomination for decades.


The 1960s – Expansion and Public Witness

During the 1960s the training work grew steadily, reflecting the rapid expansion of the denomination itself. By this period, the Theological Hall had gained structure and official oversight from the Free Presbyterian Presbytery. Lectures were held weekly, combining theological study with training in pastoral care and evangelism.

A detailed account of the Hall’s activities appeared in The Revivalist of October 1967, reporting a public service at Ravenhill Free Presbyterian Church to mark the opening of the 1967–68 session. The meeting drew a large attendance and featured a lecture by Dr Paisley on the life and work of William Tyndale, “the believer, scholar, translator, author, contender for the faith, and martyr”. The report noted that fifteen new students had been received that year, the largest intake to date.

Alongside Dr Paisley himself, the faculty now included Rev S. B. Cooke (Homiletics and Pastoral Theology), Rev Alan Cairns (Systematic Theology), and Rev John Douglas (English Bible). The magazine concluded: “Since the Hall commenced training young men for the ministry in 1952, God has richly blessed its work. Every one of our ministers, except Dr Paisley, has passed through its classes.” It also launched an appeal for books and funds to supply a library for the students — the nucleus of the modern Whitefield College library.


1969 – 1979: Martyrs Memorial Free Presbyterian Church

The completion of Martyrs Memorial Free Presbyterian Church on the Ravenhill Road in 1969 provided expanded facilities for ministerial training. The Theological Hall relocated from the Ravenhill FPC to the existing, former Ardenlee Nursing Home, building attached to the new Martyrs building.

Belfast Telegraph — Tuesday, 2 October 1979 — Page 11

This smaller premises, later demolished, served as the principal training centre of the denomination throughout the 1970s. Students met weekly for lectures in Bible exposition, theology, and pastoral studies, while participating in missions and open‑air work. The Free Presbyterian Church was by then extending throughout Ulster and developing international ties through Dr Paisley’s preaching ministry. Seeing the growing need, the Presbytery resolved that theological training should be placed on a full‑time and formal footing.


1979 – The Founding of Whitefield College of the Bible

In 1979 the Theological Hall was reorganised as the Whitefield College of the Bible, named after the eighteenth‑century evangelist George Whitefield. This marked a decisive step forward. The College operated initially from Belfast under a more structured system, offering a four‑year ministerial and two‑year missionary programme.

Dr John Douglas was appointed as the first Principal, bringing to the work years of teaching experience and pastoral leadership. Under his oversight the syllabus was expanded to include homiletics, hermeneutics, Greek, and Hebrew, creating a comprehensive ministerial course supervised directly by the Presbytery.

Whitefield College was thus the natural continuation of the Theological Hall — retaining the same doctrinal foundations and evangelical zeal but now recognised as a formal denominational college. Plans were soon made to secure permanent premises.


1981 – The Opening at Laurencetown

Whitefield College at Lawrencetown, Banbridge

The vision for a dedicated campus was realised on Saturday, 3 October 1981, with the official opening of Whitefield College of the Bible at Laurencetown House, near Gilford, County Down. The grand inauguration service was held under a large marquee on the college grounds before more than 2,000 attendees.

Portadown News – Friday 09th October 1981

Dr Bob Jones Jr, Chancellor of Bob Jones University, South Carolina, conducted the opening and received the key from Dr Ian Paisley, President of the College. A portrait of George Whitefield, painted by Samuel McCausland, and a mural by Rhonda Paisley were presented.

Dr Paisley preached from 2 Kings 6:1 — “The place where we dwell with Thee is too strait for us” — linking the vision of Elisha’s school of the prophets to the growth of the Free Presbyterian Church. Dr Jones followed with “The Things Required to Do a Great Work for God”. An offering of £8,500 was received for the new work.

The Laurencetown estate encompassed 30 acres beside the River Bann, with terraced lawns, gardens, and a Georgian mansion of about 6,000 square feet. The former Sixmilecross School building was re‑erected as a lecture hall. For almost three decades this setting became the heart of Free Presbyterian ministerial training — a place of study, devotion, and missionary preparation for ministers now serving across the world.

Belfast News-Letter – Thursday 24 June 1982 – Page 2

2009 – From Laurencetown to the Paisley Jubilee Complex

Paisley Jubilee Complex

After nearly thirty years at Laurencetown, challenges arose when the building was granted listed status, making maintenance increasingly expensive and limiting development. In 2009 the Free Presbyterian Presbytery resolved to sell the estate and relocate the College to Belfast. The sale was completed in 2010, allowing the move to be carried out entirely debt‑free.

The lectures and administration were transferred to the Paisley Jubilee Complex within Martyrs Memorial Free Presbyterian Church, providing modern facilities and close oversight by the denomination’s central ministries. For seventeen years the College flourished there, maintaining strong links with missionary, radio, and evangelistic work.

Rev Timothy Nelson succeeded as Principal after the brief tenure of Rev Gordon Ferguson, preserving the Reformed emphasis and doctrinal fidelity established in earlier years. The courses continued to focus on systematic theology, biblical hermeneutics, homiletics, and pastoral ministry — ensuring that each graduate entered the ministry thoroughly trained in both doctrine and duty.

Throughout the 2010s the College continued to function vigorously in Belfast. Valedictory services held across the denomination, such as that conducted by Rev David Park in 2018, recorded multiple students simultaneously entering and completing the College’s four‑year ministerial course. The longstanding academic framework established under Dr John Douglas remained in place, and his traditional exhortation from 2 Timothy 2:15 — “Study to show thyself approved unto God” — was still used to open each academic year even after his retirement. Under Rev Nelson’s leadership the College upheld its biblical curriculum and responded to the growing need for trained ministers to fill pulpits at home and abroad.


2026 – The New Campus at Tandragee

Tandragee College – Opening March 2026

The next chapter in the Whitefield story was made possible through the generosity of Tandragee Free Presbyterian Church, which gifted adjoining land to the Presbytery for a permanent new home. Plans were drawn up for a purpose‑built two‑storey complex incorporating two large lecture rooms, an expanded library, administrative offices, study and social areas, and a dedicated Historical Society Strong Room to preserve denominational archives. A missionary workshop was included to provide practical training for overseas service.

Construction was completed in 2025, and the new Tandragee Campus was officially opened on 13th March 2026, seventy‑five years after the founding of the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster. The event symbolised a full circle — the training of preachers for the same Gospel first proclaimed in Crossgar in 1951.

Opening of the new Whitefield College of the Bible:
In Pictures

Photos courtesy of Tony Hendron/Portadown Times

The College enters this new stage entirely debt‑free, a fitting reflection of the sacrificial generosity of God’s people throughout its history.


The Legacy Continues

Across seven decades, Whitefield College of the Bible has passed through seven distinct eras of training:

  1. Mount Merrion back hall (1953 – 1960s)
  2. Ravenhill Free Presbyterian Church (1960s – 1969)
  3. Rear hall of Martyrs Memorial Free Presbyterian Church (1969 – late 1970s)
  4. Formation of Whitefield College in Belfast (1979 – 1981)
  5. Laurencetown House Campus (1981 – 2009)
  6. Paisley Jubilee Complex, Belfast (2009 – 2026)
  7. Tandragee Free Presbyterian Campus (2026 – Present)

Through every move, the mission has remained the same: to prepare faithful ministers of the New Testament who will preach Christ without fear and stand for the unchanging truth of God’s Word.

Yet the ongoing vitality of the College depends upon the continued spiritual health of the congregations that sustain it. From among the boys and girls of Free Presbyterian families will come the future ministers, missionaries, and teachers of the Gospel. If the next generation is to rise up ready for service, the local church must be a training ground for faith. Robust youth fellowships, regular youth prayer meetings, and a deep involvement of young believers in evangelism are essential to stir hearts toward consecrated service.

The Church’s Book of Church Order rightly reminds us that only a biblical view of marriage, morality, creation, and human nature provides young people with a firm foundation for wisdom, integrity, and upright living. In an age of confusion and moral relativism, the expansion and preservation of Independent Christian Schools stand at the front line of this spiritual conflict — safeguarding children from ungodly indoctrination, cultivating Christian character, and integrating academic excellence with biblical conviction.

Such schools, united with godly homes and faithful congregations, form the pipeline that will supply future generations of gospel labourers. Through this partnership of home, church, and school, young people can discover their gifts, grow in sound doctrine, and hear the call of God that leads ultimately to Whitefield College and, from there, to the pulpit and the mission field.

As the Free Presbyterian Church looks forward, it must continue to pray, labour, and invest in this sacred chain of Christian education — contending for biblical truth in public life, promoting righteousness through peaceful testimony, and preparing men and women who will “contend earnestly for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.”

Whitefield College of the Bible therefore stands not merely as a monument to past achievement, but as a living reminder that education, evangelism, and ministerial training must all serve one purpose: that Christ may be known, truth may be preserved, and future generations may be “endued to stand.”

Motto: Endued to Stand
Verse: “Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase.” – Job 8:7


Current Summary

Name: Whitefield College of the Bible
Founded: 1953 (as Theological Hall)
Formally Organised as Whitefield College: 1979
Official College Inauguration: 3rd October 1981 (Laurencetown House)
Laurencetown Campus Closed and Sold: 2009 – 2010
Operation in Paisley Jubilee Complex, Belfast: 2009 – 2026
Current Campus: Tandragee Free Presbyterian Church, County Armagh
Official Opening: 13th March 2026
Affiliation: Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster
Principal: Rev Timothy Nelson
Motto: Endued to Stand


If you enjoyed this article, please do feel free to contact us, we would welcome any additions or corrections. Our denominational founding congregation, Crossgar, has an excellent history of the formation of the Free Presbyterian Church which is linked below.

Screenshot of 75.crossgarfpc.org

75th Anniversary of the formation of the Free Presbyterian Church

Share this page
Scroll to Top