Our History

Since 1996 we have sought to serve the local community by bearing a faithful witness for Jesus Christ.

The present church building was originally used as the Killynure National School. Built in 1798 by public subscriptions and refurbished in 1871, the school existed until 1968 when the new primary school in Carryduff was established. After the old school was vacated, it lay derelict for a number of years and was badly vandalized.

In 1976 the late Robert Lowe of Killynure, being deeply concerned for the spiritual needs within his neighbourhood, obtained approval from his fellow trustees to establish a Free Presbyterian Sabbath School where the great truths of the Gospel would be taught to the local children.

Before this new Sabbath school commenced, the trustees, with the able help of Mr. Wilfred Crawford, a local building contractor, carried out a major renovation of the interior and exterior of the old building. This included the construction of a new pulpit from which the Gospel would be proclaimed.

A two week Gospel Mission was organized in which the main speaker was Dr. Paisley and several souls were converted.

For twenty years after this first Gospel Mission, the work on the Killynure Road remained as a non-constituted outreach from the Martyrs Memorial congregation with a weekly afternoon Sabbath School and an Sunday evening Service at 8:30pm. With the passing of time and the conviction deepening among some families that what was needed was the formation of a new congregation in Carryduff, the work was officially constituted on the 18th February, 1996.

In the absence of a resident minister, the services were conducted by various ministers of our denomination and lay preachers under the supervision of Rev. David McIlveen (Sandown Road) and the Martyrs Memorial Kirk Session.

On 31st March 1999, the Rev. David McLaughlin was ordained and installed as minister of the congregation. Since his arrival, souls have been converted and a number of new families have joined the church. It is our prayer that this little sapling will grow into a mighty oak in the will of God.